Science is all around us! At Iqra Primary School we believe that scientific investigation is one of the most powerful ways to learn; developing curiosity and perseverance as well as challenging what we know about the world. We aim to make science as practical as possible, linking it to real life contexts and giving a meaning to our learning.
Our aims in teaching Science include:
- building on children’s natural curiosity and developing a scientific approach to problems;
- encouraging open-mindedness, self-criticism, perseverance and responsibility;
- preparing children for life in an increasingly scientific and technological world;
- fostering concern about, and appreciation of, our environment;
- building children’s self-confidence to enable them to work independently and developing their social skills to work co-operatively with others;
- helping children to acquire a progressive understanding of scientific ideas;
- giving children the experience of scientific processes;
- helping children to acquire practical science skills;
- providing children with an enjoyable experience of Science, so that they will develop a deep and lasting interest and be motivated to study Science further.
At Iqra, the majority of science topics fit within the year group’s termly topic areas. The expectation is that both scientific knowledge and enquiry will be taught as an integral part of the wider curriculum. The curriculum is enriched through science-based visits and workshops; inviting experts and scientists to give our pupils an inspirational insight into the world of science!
Here are links to science websites and activities that you can try at home: